If you love the taste of coconut, you’ll probably adore subtle flavor of this bar. It’s a lovely treat to enjoy in the evening with a good cup of tea and are great for the kiddies lunch boxes.
Buzzy's Bounty Bars combine coconut and cacao creating an ultra-creamy filling balanced by a rich raw chocolate coating. We love coconut for its medium-chain fatty acids, a direct energy source for moving bodies. Coconut not only has anti-microbial properties but is also known to be anti-inflammatory due to lauric acid content.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS BOUNTIFUL BAR
For the coconut filling, you’ll need:
- 4 cups dried fine coconut
- 2/3 cup liquid sweetener (light agave syrup, rice malt syrup or maple syrup)
- ½ cup + 2tbsp coconut milk
- 2 ½ melted cold-pressed coconut oil
- ¼ melted coconut butter or cacao butter
- Pinch of salt
For the luscious chocolate coating you’ll need:
- 2/3 cup cacao butter
- ¼ cup cold-pressed coconut oil
- ¼ cup + 1tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups cacao powder
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE BUZZY'S BOUNTY BAR RECIPE
Have I mentioned that it only takes an hour to make? The only long time you’ll need is its resting time. You can make this even faster by melting your favourite chocolate and dipping your coconut mixture in this if you don't want to make your own chocolate for dipping!
- To prepare the coconut filling, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together well by hand. Press into bar moulds and allow to set in the fridge for at least 8 hours or in the freezer for 2-3 hours if you can't wait for the fridge method.
- To prepare the chocolate, place cacao butter and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over another bowl or a saucepan containing very hot water, and allow to melt. Be very careful not to let any water get into the top bowl.
Once melted, add maple syrup and mix together gently, keeping the bowl over the hot water, then add the cacao powder, salt and vanilla and mix again. Keep stirring gently until the mixture is well combined - at least 10 minutes. The temperature should stay at around 41°C for a smooth, consistent chocolate that won't separate. You may need to add more hot water to your water bowl if it cools down.
- When chocolate is smooth, you can temper it. To do this, place some ice and water in a separate bowl large enough to hold the chocolate bowl. Transfer the chocolate bowl to sit in the ice/water one, and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes to reduce it to around body temperature. You can test this by touching a little chocolate to just below your lower lip area - the chocolate should feel neither warm nor cold.
- To assemble, line a tray with non-stick baking paper. Remove bars from moulds one by one and dip the bars into the chocolate, using two forks to help remove excess chocolate. Gently place each dipped bar on the baking paper. You can also do an extra drizzle on top to give them some texture (as you can see in the picture) - to do this, take a spoonful of chocolate, hold it at a little height above a bar and let it drizzle down onto the bar while you move the spoon quickly back and forth.
HOW TO STORE THIS DELICIOUS TREAT
- Place in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour before serving. These will keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
If you make Buzzy's Bounty Bars, let us know how they turned out! This recipe was taken from the little bird goodness recipe book with the addition of a few tips by us! Enjoy and can't wait to see what you guys think!