When you want to be healthy, it's really not as hard as what it seems. Sometimes we tend to overcomplicate things. However it doesn't need to be complicated. You don't have to give up your favourite foods or exercise for hours everyday! Remember, food is fuel and it's good to be aware of what you're eating. But you can still enjoy your favourite soul foods in moderation without guilt and at the same time still be healthy.
Here are 8 steps or tips to a healthier you:
1. Eat a variety of foods. Don't focus on just one type of food or eating only healthy options all the time. If you eat natural, whole and unprocessed foods 80% of the time you are on the right track.
2. Get plenty of exercise. Whether it's walking, biking, running or even playing with the kids. You should do something every day to get your heart pumping and keep your body strong. Try find something you enjoy, this will help you stay committed.
3. Eat a balanced diet. This means that you should eat plenty of the following: fruits, vegetables, whole grains if tolerated and animal or plant based proteins which include beans, beans, nuts, seeds and tofu ,whole grain products, chicken, fish & beef
4. Most of the time, avoid processed foods and food with high sugar content.
5. Eat mindfully, don't eat in front of the TV or computer.
6. Drink plenty of water. At least 2.5 litres every day with an additional litre with every hour of exercise performed.
7. Get enough sleep (7-8 hours a night for adults).
8.Practice meditation or diaphragmatic breathing exercises even if its for only one minute a day.
When it comes to being healthy, it's really not as hard as it seems. Sometimes we overcomplicate things and think we need to give up our favourite foods or activities. But this doesn't need to be the case. There are plenty of ways to stay healthy that don't involve giving anything up. All you need to do is make a few small changes and be mindful of your choices.